Sanctions Program Manager
One of the fastest-growing fintech companies, Uphold is pursuing a mission to democratise investments and payments for people and companies worldwide. A bridge between old and new money systems, Uphold allows people to buy, exchange and send more than 100 cryptocurrencies, precious metals, equities, and currencies instantly. Our mission is to create trusted access to digital money and financial services for the many. Since inception, we have fought to provide a fairer, easier and more affordable system. We put security and transparency first.
At Uphold, we are looking for people with passion, initiative, and integrity. We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't 100% match the job description. We welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren't afraid to challenge the status quo. If you’re a rock star and this sounds interesting and challenging, we want to hear from you.
Uphold is looking for an OFAC/Sanctions Manager to take ownership of Uphold’s global sanctions program. The OFAC/Sanctions Compliance Officer will report directly to the Compliance leadership and have responsibility for the design, implementation, monitoring and reporting (internally and externally) of Uphold’s compliance program with regards to sanctions.
This position can be fully remote.
What you’ll be doing primarily:
- Maintain an effective sanctions compliance program through the definition, implementation and oversight of policies, procedures and controls aligned with U.S. and global sanctions requirements.
- Enhance and maintain Uphold’s sanctions screening tools for customers and the originators and beneficiaries of Uphold customer transactions and ensure that transaction monitoring rules and thresholds appropriately consider sanctions risk.
- Drive continual improvements in Uphold’s sanctions compliance program, in coordination with other stakeholders in Compliance, Legal, and Operations.
- Lead investigations and/or due diligence reviews where OFAC issues are present, such as in connection with relevant customer on-boarding or transactions.
- In coordination with the Uphold Financial Intelligence Unit, prepare reports to OFAC regarding blocked/rejected transactions.
- Develop, implement, and monitor OFAC training to appropriate personnel.
- Keep abreast of OFAC related regulations and inform the Compliance Department, as well as other Uphold internal stakeholders, accordingly.
- Develop appropriate management information to senior management and the board of directors with regards to sanctions compliance.
- Manage day-to-day interactions with sanctions authorities, including OFAC.
- Prepare the annual sanctions/OFAC risk assessment.
- Oversee sanctions and name screening analyst teams.
- Strong subject matter knowledge of U.S. sanctions programs administered by OFAC and practical application in a financial services environment,
- Knowledge of global sanctions programs administered by other sanctioning authorities, including Her Majesty’s Treasury in the UK.
- Experience with digital assets.
- Hands-on experience in reviewing and assessing OFAC sanctions-related cases.
- Experience in building out sanction-program controls.
- Great attention to detail and ability to effectively communicate across teams.
- A minimum of 7 or more years of experience with U.S. banking regulations and knowledge of best industry practices.
- Sound management skills and experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and communication skills.
Bonus if you have:
- Experience with blockchain monitoring tools.
- Relevant law enforcement experience.
- An active ACAMS certification.
- Knowledge of other areas of the BSA/AML program.
- Experience directly managing or leading a compliance team.
What we have to offer you:
- A fun and collaborative work environment in a company that continues to grow, driven by extraordinary and passionate people that keep us innovating and challenging each day
- Competitive salary and benefits
- An international team in a cutting edge field
- A flexible and enthusiastic environment with work from home opportunities
- Growth and career opportunities and the chance to be proactive and creative
- Open and transparent culture - we get together on a regular basis to share updates, strategic plans, and engage with each other informally over (virtual) drinks
- Interesting events that keep you connected with the team and celebrate our success
If this job isn’t exactly what you are looking for, visit our careers page to check out all our exciting opportunities.
We're proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, gender identity, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, and any other protected classes. Difference makes us stronger and better - together.