Cryptocurrency Investigations Analyst
Uphold is an easy-to-use investments and payments app. Specializing in digital assets, we serve more than 7 million customers in 150 countries. We open around 15,000 accounts a day and provide consumers with a more versatile and cost-effective home for their daily financial lives. For businesses, we provide regulated infrastructure to connect crypto with fiat currencies. Today, we support 51 digital assets, 28 national currencies, four precious metals and fractional U.S. equities.
Uphold’s unique trading experience - ‘Anything-to-Anything’ - allows customers to trade directly between any supported asset or currency in one step - physical gold to Bitcoin, for example - saving both time and money. Uphold supports financial inclusion by enabling customers virtually anywhere to open an account in less than 5 minutes and to invest with no minimum amounts. Customers can send money to virtually anyone with an email address free of charge.
To learn more, please visit https://uphold.com
Uphold is looking for a Crypto Investigations Analyst to join our Investigations team. This is an incredibly exciting opportunity where you’ll get to monitor and evaluate transaction monitoring alerts arising from Uphold customer blockchain activity including using systems such as Chainalysis, Elliptic, Sift and others.
What you’ll be doing primarily:
- Conduct high-quality investigations of potentially suspicious activity on the blockchain, by identifying transaction patterns, trends and typologies impacting Uphold and its users.
- Conduct comprehensive, high quality end-to-end complex investigations to identify financial crime patterns, trending, and typologies impacting PayPal and the global user community.
- Where appropriate, fulfill time-sensitive regulatory filing obligations – through Suspicious Activity Reports (“SARs”) / Suspicious Transaction Reports (“STRs”) that are factually accurate and materially sound prior to submission.
- Draft responses and provide materials relevant to subpoenas and 314(a)/(b) requests from law enforcement agencies.
- Receive escalations of simpler/more straightforward investigations from more junior team members and act as point of contact on crypto subject matter.
- Support the development and evolution of Uphold’s policies with regards to blockchain cryptocurrency activity by extrapolating learnings from investigations.
- Research and analyze current and emerging trends involving cryptocurrency and other digital assets.
- Brief partner departments and key leaders on current and emerging threats with regards to cryptocurrency.
- Other related tasks as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent work experience.
- 4+ years anti-money laundering, financial crime, law enforcement, or investigative experience.
- Proven knowledge of U.S. and international anti-money laundering (“AML”) and sanctions regulations and guidance such as the Bank Secrecy Act (“BSA”), FinCEN Customer Due Diligence (“CDD”) Rule, US Patriot Act, and European Union Money Laundering Directives.
- Knowledge and familiarity with Chainalysis & Elliptic.
- Deep understanding and comprehension of Bitcoin and/or other virtual currencies, and blockchain analysis
- Advanced research and analytical skills, business acumen, strategic and creative thinking, strong project leadership skills and multi-tasking capabilities.
- Expert oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to communicate complex information accurately, clearly and quickly to all levels of management.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced and dynamic financial services environment.
- Excellent project management, organizational, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Display a high level of professional judgment, commitment, integrity, and teamwork.
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to positively influence teams through a climate of change.
- Results oriented with the ability to identify the long-term effects of decisions/solutions on customers and the business.
- Proficient in the use of the Google suite of applications.
Bonus if you have:
- CAMS designation or other relevant Crypto certification.
- CipherTrace Certified Examiner, or other blockchain monitoring certification.
- Prior digital asset experience.
- Familiarity with blockchain tracing, transaction monitoring, and data analytics tools.
- Extreme attention to detail, high efficiency, and excellent time management skills
- Previously worked on numerous projects, queues, backlogs, and priorities in a fast-past environment at a FinTech startup or consulting firm.
- Importantly, if you’re looking for a senior role with us, you will have achieved many of the things above while also providing mentorship to others, and have engaged in public speaking opportunities.
What we have to offer you:
- An amazing work environment in a company that continues to grow, driven by extraordinary and passionate people that keep up innovating and challenging more each day.
- An international team, in a cutting edge field, working on the most fascinating projects.
- Growth and career opportunities, and the chance to be proactive and creative.
- A flexible and enthusiastic work environment that offers you snacks, a lot of coffee and other great benefits.
- Open and transparent culture - we get together on a weekly basis to share updates, strategic plans, and engage with each other informally over food and drinks.
- Interesting events that keep you connected with the team and celebrate our success.
Be part of a great company that is revolutionizing the financial services. Apply now!
If this job isn’t exactly what you are looking for, visit our careers page to check out all our exciting opportunities.
We're proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, gender identity, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, and any other protected classes. Difference makes us stronger and better - together.