One of the fastest-growing fintech companies, Uphold is pursuing a mission to democratise investments and payments for people and companies worldwide.
A digital money platform serving over 6 million customers in more than 150 countries. Uphold now manages more than $1.5 billion in customer assets. The Silicon Valley firm currently opens around 10,000 accounts a day as consumers seek a more versatile and cost-effective home for their financial lives. Leveraging blockchain technology, the platform provides both consumers and businesses with easy access to 46 digital assets, 27 national currencies, four precious metals and 50 fractional U.S. equities.
Uphold’s unique trading experience - ‘Anything-to-Anything’ - allows customers to trade directly between asset classes, saving time and money. Uphold supports financial inclusion by enabling customers virtually anywhere to open an account in less than a minute and trade with no minimum investment amounts. Customers can send money to virtually anyone with an email address free of charge.
This position can be remote in the US in AZ, CA, CO, MD, NC, NJ, NY, RI, TX or VA. To learn more, please visit https://uphold.com
The Uphold Business Due Diligence (BDD) Analyst is responsible for conducting enhanced due diligence reviews on all business accounts and will be acting as a SME in all aspects of KYC/EDD. The Analyst will be leading and managing various processes, including on-boarding, periodic reviews, special event-triggers, ad-hoc projects, and assisting the Chief Compliance Officer and Business Development Director with daily compliance operations.
What you’ll be doing primarily:
- Performing all tasks related to business customer on-boarding using Customer Due Diligence (CDD), Enhanced Due Diligence (EDD), and AML/OFAC research efforts and strategies as well as sound judgment and decision-making
- Liaising with senior management, Business Development, Product, Legal, Operations, and Information Security teams in on-boarding of business customers in adherence to policies and procedures
- Assessing the accuracy, completeness and quality of CIP/KYC/EDD documentation, high risk factors, transactions, negative news, and thorough risk mitigation for high risk customers
- Conducting investigations and background checks on customers against OFAC/PEP/SDN lists and other adverse information checks
- Acting as a Subject Matter Expert and Point of Contact for all KYC/EDD on-boarding inquiries and escalations that will arise from third-party vendors
- Managing the firm’s internal systems and assisting in validation, tuning and optimization of various processes and tools
- Managing production goals, both quantitatively and qualitatively, while maintaining highest compliance standards
- Escalating any possible red flags and provide thoughtful recommendations to the Business Due Diligence Director and Chief Compliance Officer
- Assisting the U.S. Compliance Department with ad-hoc projects, quality control, and reviews as needed
- BA/BS or equivalent, advanced degree preferred
- CAMS, CFCS, or other relevant Compliance certification
- Must have a minimum of three (3) years of financial services industry regulatory compliance experience with a focus on KYC/EDD, preferably at a top-tier bank, Big 4 consulting firm, or a high-growth FinTech company
- Strong knowledge of AML/OFAC, Bank Secrecy Act, USA PATRIOT Act on-boarding requirements and FinCEN Customer Identification Program (CIP) Guidance
- Familiarity with utilizing public records and screening databases and other due diligence investigation tools such as LexisNexis, Factiva, Ekata etc.
- Advanced research skills and a passion for finding solutions to complex business problems with a risk-mitigation mindset
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a high-pressure environment
- Strong quality, delivery and customer service orientation
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Excellent organizational, time management and prioritization skills with a sense of urgency
- Must have a happy disposition and great attitude; be a self-starter and work well within a global, multi-cultural team
Bonus if you have:
- Advanced degree (MBA, JD)
- Advanced data science skills
- Fluency in Spanish or Portuguese
- Prior experience managing a small team or having direct reports
- Prior experience working at a startup in FinTech/Crypto
- Availability for occasional work outside normal business hours
What we have to offer you:
- A fun and collaborative work environment in a company that continues to grow, driven by extraordinary and passionate people that keep us innovating and challenging each day
- Competitive salary and benefits
- An international team in a cutting edge field
- A flexible and enthusiastic environment with work from home opportunities
- Growth and career opportunities and the chance to be proactive and creative
- Open and transparent culture - we get together on a regular basis to share updates, strategic plans, and engage with each other informally over (virtual) drinks
- Interesting events that keep you connected with the team and celebrate our success
If this job isn’t exactly what you are looking for, visit our careers page to check out all our exciting opportunities.
We're proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, gender identity, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, and any other protected classes. Difference makes us stronger and better - together.