One of the fastest growing fintech companies, Uphold is pursuing a mission to democratise investments and payments for people and companies worldwide. Founded in 2014, the Silicon Valley company today has more than 2 million customers in over 150 countries with an impressive 50x increase in Mobile App downloads during the first quarter of 2020. A bridge between the old and new money systems, Uphold allows people to buy, exchange and send more than 100 currencies, cryptocurrencies, precious metals and equities instantly. An engineering-led company with a social inclusion agenda, Uphold provides a stimulating and challenging home for the brightest and best coding talent.
We stand by the idea that ‘source code is a liability, not an asset’, so we do our best to keep things simple, readable and less complex to manage.
We work collaboratively with a shared code ownership mindset to design and implement complex technical projects, balancing speed with quality, learning from our past mistakes, and allowing everyone time to take the challenge they see fit.
If you’re a Rockstar and this sounds interesting and challenging, we want to hear from you. Apply here!
Uphold is looking for a Data Scientist to join our Data team. This is an incredibly exciting opportunity where you’ll get to be responsible for data-driven insights that enable our company to optimize business processes, empower financial decisions and drive the product roadmap. You will gather, organize and aggregate large sets of data in order to produce meaningful business insight and solve critical challenges that give us a competitive edge.
You will be able to work on a very fertile environment to bring your ideas to life, while integrated in a fast-paced industry.
What you’ll be doing primarily:
- Conducting in-depth data explorations and analysis used by leadership as well as by the marketing, business development, and financial teams to enhance targeting, increase revenue, and allocate resources more efficiently.
- Evaluating specific product and sales performance to make recommendations to Senior Management to increase productivity and drive efficiency.
- Translating business questions and objectives into concrete metrics and KPIs.
- Designing and implementing tools, dashboards, reports that feed on data to support multiple business needs.
- Contributing to the definition of overarching processes and practices across the Data Team and the rest of the company.
- Evangelizing and proving the value of data and of a data-driven culture throughout Uphold multiple business units.
- Communicating results clearly, concisely and assertively, either orally or via well-documented dashboards, visualizations, and reports.
- Researching competitors, adjacent markets, and current market trends to discover new businesses or process opportunities.
- Guaranteeing data quality both on live systems as well as offline datasets.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field such as mathematics, economics, statistics, informatics, data science, or engineering required.
- Strong intuitive knowledge in probability, statistics and machine learning.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applying data mining and predictive modeling techniques to real-world data (e.g. classification, clustering, time series forecasting).
- Team player with an ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Experience working with a data warehouse environment and leveraging models within distributed systems in a cloud-based environment.
- Proven ability to transform the results of complex modeling procedures into concrete decisions and actions.
- Ability to lead small projects from conception and design through implementation to delivery and communication.
- Drive to grow as a well-rounded data scientist, namely in quantitative methods, software engineering, communication, and business.
- Creativity, curiosity and a growth mindset.
- Strong foundations in the design and interpretation of experiments.
- Value and results-oriented, with a keen eye for quality of deliverables.
- Fluent written and oral English skills.
Bonus if you have:
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Strong knowledge in Python and SQL, Java and/or Scala.
- Fluency in cryptocurrencies or other digital assets as they are core to our business.
- Community talks, certifications, and/or blog posts on your interests and research.
- Open-source project contributions of any kind, such as tools developed to solve specific problems you’ve had or fixing issues on existing projects.
Importantly, if you’re looking for a senior role with us, you will have achieved many of the things above while also providing mentorship to others, and have engaged in public speaking opportunities.
What we have to offer you:
- An amazing work environment in a company that continues to grow, driven by extraordinary and passionate people that keep up innovating and challenging more each day.
- An international team, in a cutting edge field, working on the most fascinating projects.
- Growth and career opportunities, and the chance to be proactive and creative.
- A flexible and enthusiastic work environment that offers you snacks, a lot of coffee and other great benefits.
- Open and transparent culture - we get together on a weekly basis to share updates, strategic plans, and engage with each other informally over food and drinks.
- Interesting events that keep you connected with the team and celebrate our success.
Be part of a great company that is revolutionizing the financial services. Apply now!
We're proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, gender identity, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, and any other protected classes. Difference makes us better.